Scott Barham Atchison (born March 29, 1976 in Denton, Texas) is a Major League Baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox organization. He graduated from McCullough High School in The Woodlands, TX and received his degree in general studies from Texas Christian University.
College baseball (1994-98)Edit
While playing for Texas Christian University, Atchison earned four letters and was named All-Southwest Conference twice and All-Western Athletic Conference once.
Professional baseball career (1998-Present)Edit
Atchison was originally drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 36th round of the 1994 amateur draft, but chose to attend college. He was drafted again by the Mariners in the 49th round of the 1998 amateur draft, and signed with the team in May 1999. He spent five years playing for minor league affiliates of the Mariners and made his debut in the Majors on July 31, 2004. He spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons splitting his time between the Mariners and the Mariners' minor league affiliates, appearing in 31 games over two years. In 2006, he played the entire season in the minors.
In 2007, he signed with the San Francisco Giants and appeared in 22 games. At the end of the season, he refused an assignment from the Giants to the Fresno Grizzlies, and became a free agent.. He signed a minor league contract with the Boston Red Sox to come to spring training as a non-roster invitee, but one week later signed with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan. On January 4, 2008, it was announced that the Red Sox had sold Atchison's contract to the Hanshin Tigers.
The Tigers that got him wanted to resign him but he thought of doing comeback in MLB as that is his goal and he did have good season over in Japan. He left the Tigers because of something around his life in Japan. On December 7, 2009, Atchison signed a one-year, incentive laden contract with the Boston Red Sox.
- ↑ Henry Schulman and Susan Slusser (2007-11-29). Twins, Rays in 6-player trade. San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved on 2007-12-27.
- ↑ Scoreboard. Lexington Herald-Leader (2007-12-14). Retrieved on 2007-12-27.
- ↑ Tigers acquire veteran Atchison. The Japan Times (2007-12-20). Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved on 2007-12-27.
- ↑ Boston Red Sox Transactions. ESPN (2008-01-04). Retrieved on 2008-01-10.
- ↑ Rosenthal, Ken. BoSox sign former Hanshin righty reliever Atchison, FOX Sports. Published December 7, 2009. Retrieved December 7, 2009.