His best years were with the Chicago Cubs, notably 1907 when he won 23 games, second highest total in the National League behind Christy Mathewson's 24. In World Series action he went 3-1 for the Cubs over their Series four appearances during those glory years.
He played seven years in the major leagues compiling a record of 108-71. His 2.24 lifetime ERA is eighth best in major league history.
He is the only man to strike out four batters in one inning in the World Series. He did it in the 1908 Series.
- List of Major League Baseball leaders in career wins
- List of Major League Baseball strikeout champions
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference
- [Orval Overall] at Flickr
- 4 Strikeouts In 1 Inning : A Baseball Almanac Fabulous Feat at www.baseball-almanac.com
- 1907 cartoon of Overall from the Los Angeles Examiner
|National League Strikeout Champion|