Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- For the late-20th century Chicago White Sox / Oakland A's / Toronto Blue Jays player known as the "Big Hurt," see Frank Thomas (AL baseball player).
Frank Joseph Thomas (born June 11, 1929 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is a former left fielder in Major League Baseball who played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1951-58), Cincinnati Reds (1959), Chicago Cubs (1960-61), Milwaukee Braves (1961), New York Mets (1962-64), Philadelphia Phillies (1964-65), Houston Astros (1965), Milwaukee Braves (1965), and Chicago Cubs (1966). He batted and threw right handed.
- 3-time All-Star (1954-55, 1958)
- 12 straight years with double-digit home runs (1953-64)
- Best season, 1958 - Hit .281, finished second in the National League to Ernie Banks with 35 home runs and 109 RBIs, and belted three consecutive HR in a game (August 16). Despite his efforts, he was shipped to Cincinnati in the off-season in the same trade that sent Harvey Haddix and Don Hoak to Pittsburgh.
- In 1962, led the expansion Mets with 34 HRs and 94 RBIs.
- Appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1958.
- Became 2nd Pittsburgh Pirate player to reach 30 home runs with 30 in 1953 (Ralph Kiner had done it 6 times)*Tied major league record with 3 consecutive 2-home run games (Aug 1-2-3, 1962 for the Mets) *Met record of 34 home runs lasted until Dave Kingman had 36 in 2975 and rbi record of 94 lasted until Donn Clendenon had 97 in 1970.
- Frank Thomas was also the name of a superstar American player in later years. Frank Joseph Thomas was an NL player who hit 286 home runs and played from 1951-1966. He is white (Caucasian). Frank Edward Thomas was a later day American player who played from 1990-2008 and is black (African-American).
Willie Mays & Stan Musial
|Major League Player of the Month|