Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The 1942 World Series featured the defending champion New York Yankees against the St. Louis Cardinals, with the Cardinals winning the Series in five games for their first championship since 1934 and their fourth overall.
The Yankees won Game 1 despite a Cardinals rally but the Cardinals swept the rest.
|1||Yankees – 7, Cardinals – 4||September 30||Sportsman's Park||34,769|
|2||Yankees – 3, Cardinals – 4||October 1||Sportsman's Park||34,255|
|3||Cardinals – 2, Yankees – 0||October 3||Yankee Stadium||69,123|
|4||Cardinals – 9, Yankees – 6||October 4||Yankee Stadium||69,902|
|5||Cardinals – 4, Yankees – 2||October 5||Yankee Stadium||69,052|
|New York (A)||0||0||0||1||1||0||0||3||2||7||11||0|
|St. Louis (N)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||4||7||4|
|W: Red Ruffing (1-0) L: Mort Cooper (0-1)|
|New York (A)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||0||3||10||2|
|St. Louis (N)||2||0||0||0||0||0||1||1||X||4||6||0|
|W: Johnny Beazley (1-0) L: Tiny Bonham (0-1)|
|HR: NYY – Charlie Keller (1)|
|St. Louis (N)||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||2||5||1|
|New York (A)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||6||1|
|W: Ernie White (1-0) L: Spud Chandler (0-1)|
|St. Louis (N)||0||0||0||6||0||0||2||0||1||9||12||1|
|New York (A)||1||0||0||0||0||5||0||0||0||6||10||1|
|W: Max Lanier (1-0) L: Atley Donald (0-1)|
|HR: NYY – Charlie Keller (2)|
|St. Louis (N)||0||0||0||1||0||1||0||0||2||4||9||4|
|New York (A)||1||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||2||7||1|
|W: Johnny Beazley (2-0) L: Red Ruffing (1-1)|
|HR: STL – Enos Slaughter (1), Whitey Kurowski (1) NYY – Phil Rizzuto (1)
|St Louis Cardinals||2||0||1||7||0||1||3||1||8||23||39||10|
|New York Yankees||2||0||0||2||1||5||0||6||2||18||44||5|
|Total Attendance: 277,101 Average Attendance: 55,420|
|Winning Player’s Share: – $6,193 Losing Player’s Share – $3,352|
- In Game 1, Red Ruffing had a no-hitter until Terry Moore singled for the St Louis Cardinals with two out in the 8th inning. In the 9th inning, the Cardinals scored four runs and then managed to load the bases, bringing Stan Musial to the plate as the winning run, only to have Musial ground out.
- The 1942 St Louis Cardinals set a franchise record for victories with 106.
- This was the first World Series the New York Yankees had lost since losing the 1926 World Series to the Cardinals. They had won eight Series in the interim.
- "Every player — except for Harry Gumbert — on the 1942 St. Louis Cardinals roster was a "product" of the teams' farm system which was put in place by Branch Rickey."
- This World Series was used as a background for the plot endings in Philip Roth's 2004 novel The Plot Against America.
Neft, David S., and Richard M. Cohen. The World Series. 1st ed. New York: St Martins, 1990. (Neft and Cohen 188-191)
- 1942 World Series at Baseball-Reference.com
- 1942 World Series at WorldSeries.com (MLB.com)
- 1942 World Series at Baseball-Almanac.com
- 1942 World Series box scores and play-by-play at Retrosheet.org
|Modern Major League Baseball World Series|